![]() |
| Image from Pixabay |
I'm participating in this week's Hodgepodge, which is hosted by Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond. Before I start responding to the questions, since it's Memorial Day here in the USA, I want to take a moment to express gratitude toward anyone who has served our country. RIP. I am also grateful for the local fire departments and California statewide response to the toxic chemical tank situation in Garden Grove (about 5 miles from my place). The latest update is that, due to a crack in the tank, some of the pressure has been relieved, and the temperature of the methyl methacrylate has dropped. They said that the danger of a massive explosion has been eliminated, but there still could be a smaller one, so the evacuation order remains in place. Thankfully, I am outside that zone.
1. Do you like your name? Are you named after someone (grandparent, etc.)? If you have children how did you choose their names?
I do not like my name. I don't care for girls' names that are boys' names with an A stuck on the end. It has always annoyed me, but least it's short and easy to spell. My parents were considering Pamela as well as Paula, and I wish they'd chosen Pamela. As far as my daughters' names, Diane was always my favorite, and Sharon was my ex's pick, which I liked. My big "thing" with them was to avoid the super-popular names and also anything weird. The names we went with were slightly out of fashion, yet everyone has heard of them (and can spell them).
2. A piece of red velvet cake, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a slice of blueberry pie? You can only have one...which will you choose? If you could pick any red, white, or blue dessert other than those listed here, what would you choose?
Right now, it's pretty warm, so I'll go with the vanilla ice cream. Normally, I'm cold and would choose the RV cake and hot tea. I do love blueberry pie too. If I could choose my own patriotic-themed dessert, I'd pick strawberries and whipped cream.
3. What's a job you'd like to try for just one day?
None. I'm just waiting to retire from the one I have so I can blissfully ignore Outlook emails.
4. Any patriotic decor in your home currently or coming up this summer?
No. My housemate and I don't decorate for any holidays.
5. It's the end of May, so let's exercise our brains. Sum up your month with an acrostic using the word MAY. We can do it!!
Migraines plagued me as usual; I've had better months, and I've had worse.
Anxiety dropped rapidly at the beginning of the month and returned for month-end work issues.
Yummy meals included a high tea luncheon in San Juan Capistrano with my friend Lisa and a veggie quesadilla in Dana Point with my daughter Diane and her husband Sam.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
Today I'm going to a reggae concert with friends and am wearing reggae colors because I like themes: a long yellow tee-shirt top and beaded/ flower bracelets in yellow, black, green, and red. I'm also wearing a beaded necklace in those colors with a "queen" pendant that I fashioned out of one of the earrings that came with the accessories package. I can't wear long dangling earrings because of my paper thin earlobes, so I improvised. I saved the other earring for Lisa, but I don't know if she'll want it.

Glad to hear the worst of the danger from the chemical tank has been eliminated. Although, if the pressure has been relieved, presumably a lot of the gas escaped into the local atmosphere, which is probably not good. There must be a reason why they kept it in a tank in the first place.
ReplyDeleteYou could change your name to Pamela. The if I really wanted to be annoying, I'd change mine to Pamel.
I actually got an outlook e-mail last week. I guess one of my temp agencies didn't get the message. I didn't ignore it completely but I did send back a quick reply telling them I'm retired. Every bit as enjoyable as you'd think.
No reason to decorate the house for holidays, when you can just decorate the blog.....
Pamel! Hahaha!
DeleteI'm sorry you don't like your name. It was one of the choices for my parents (to be named after my father). Ultimately, they decided to use my middle name to name me after my father and went with a different first name. (My mother's name was Pamela.)
ReplyDeleteI love Pamela… sigh
DeleteI'm so sorry about the migraines, they are no fun at all.
ReplyDeleteThat toxic tank seems to be getting under control now, thankfully.
I love red velvet cake.
Thanks Mary!
DeleteJamie (jannghi.blogspot.com): I hated my name for a long time, as so few others shared it, and I almost never found it on mugs, pencils, etc. And I was surrounded by Jennifers, Karens, Lisas, Michelles, Julies, Elizabeths and the like.
ReplyDeleteOh yes… the names I avoided!
DeleteI hated my first name when I was a kid, although I finally made peace with it as an adult. I was the only girl in my school with that name and I got teased about it all the time. I loved (and still love) my middle name, and it took me a long time to forgive my mother for having gotten the two names in the wrong order! I used to fantasize about changing my name, but now I'm glad I didn't -- it would have hurt my mother and my grandmother (who had the same name) and it wouldn't have been worth it.
ReplyDeleteSorry you didn't like your name.
ReplyDeleteThe reggae concert sounds fun! I hope you have/had a great time. Ah, blueberry pie. Even better if it is topped with the vanilla ice cream!
ReplyDeleteI've been following the news about that tank in Garden Grove since my sister lives in HB closer to Fountain Valley. Yikes...what a mess. Glad you live outside the evacuation zone! You had the threat and then a tank blew with no warning in Washington state! Fresh strawberries from fields in Southern California were such a treat in the past! So sorry about your migraines. Happy Hodgepodge!
ReplyDeleteI like your criteria for your kids’ names! I did that with my girls- Abby and Alyssa but my son’s name, Jacob, is and was very popular. Oh well, he likes it, thankfully. I see what you mean with making a name a girl’s name that sounds like a boy’s name. It makes me think the parents wanted a boy? But they got a girl so they named her a mostly boy name? Wow, you are close to the chemical leak. I saw the headlines but haven’t read anything; now I will. Sorry about your migraines. I hope they abate and disappear altogether.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh! The toxic chemical tank situation sounds scary.
ReplyDeleteThat was interesting to read about the names.
Have a great time at the concert.
Everyone: I appreciate your concern! Thankfully the firefighters and other responders have defused the Garden Grove situation ❤️
ReplyDeleteYour answers were fun. I live in Washington and 20 minutes north there was a chemical tank implosion at the local paper mill that killed at least 11 people. So heartbreaking
ReplyDeleteI saw that in the news 😢
DeleteGlad firefighters and other emergency personnel have been able to get the Garden Grove situation under control.
ReplyDeleteHope the reggae concert was fun - it sounds like it would be energetic and exciting!