![]() |
| Cast of the Mamma Mia! sequel |
Last night I switched on Prime thinking I would watch the Mamma Mia movies again, but instead I decided impulsively to watch Regretting You (based on a Colleen Hoover novel). It was awful, so I am regretting that decision. This morning, while perusing blogs, I saw John Holton's Song Lyric Sunday post about Enya's song, "How Can I Keep from Singing," which reminded me of the ABBA song "Thank You for the Music." I haven't participated in Jim Adams' SLS for a billion years, so why not do one today for his music appreciation theme, while I am inspired? Not to mention avoiding the office work I had planned to do.
Here's the thing about ABBA for me: I liked them all along, but I didn't love them until the first Mamma Mia movie. The sequel Here We Go Again is even better, despite the absence of Meryl Streep as a lead (Lily James excellently portrays young Donna Sheridan.) While ABBA's music was always a treat, the singing itself didn't resonate emotionally with me until the movies ~ even on heartbreak songs I found ABBA's voices pretty but bland. The actors in the movies however, even when they aren't technically good singers (Pierce Brosnan, for example, LOL), give the songs depth and significance. No really! These movies mean a lot to me. They aren't all about silly romances but more an exploration of the deep bonds of motherhood.
At the beginning of MM2, Sophie (Donna's daughter, played by Amanda Seyfried) is sitting at a table on the patio and addressing cards to peeps telling them about the grand reopening of Hotel Belladonna, which she and her boyfriend Sky (played by Dominic Cooper) remodeled after Donna's death. Sophie sings the title song as she's working.

It does feel like a million years since we last chatted, Paula but when you left WordPress Fandango wrote a post that said you needed your space, so I never contacted you. Great choice for the theme today and I do remember your love for ABBA, and I miss your posts about Gatsby, and I hope that you and him are both doing fine.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jim! Yes, I definitely needed a big blogging break. Sadly, Gatsby passed over the rainbow bridge just about a year ago. I miss him a lot. I adopted Inky from the shelter last summer, and she's a total sweetheart :)
DeleteA good choice for the theme! And it’s good to see you here again, as it was you who prompted me to start doing this, just shy of four years ago. Time flies!
ReplyDeleteHi Clive! Thanks, yes, I am getting back into blogging again…
DeleteI love ABBA's music, but I haven't seen "Mamma Mia." The thought of Pierce Brosnan singing...
ReplyDeleteHeh. It traumatized my daughters!
DeleteI've loved ABBA ever since they hit the big time in Europe. I knew who they were before they made it to the US (and never got big there). I agree that the movies add depth to the songs. I remember wondering how they could get a story out of random ABBA songs, but the writers made it all logical as well as a lot of fun!
ReplyDelete