![]() |
| Colorful music notes from Pixabay |
I'm going to talk about Taylor Swift for a minute. First, I'm neither a crazed fan nor a cranky hater, so if you're at one of those extremes, you may not enjoy this post. No offense taken if you leave. Second, I've respected TS as a successful businesswoman for quite some time. After reading about the sh!t women go through in the music world, it's awesome that she navigated all that with grace and came out on top. Third, in general, I don't care that much for TS's music: I find it mostly pretty boring with a few exceptions. She has a lovely voice, and some of her lyrics are very clever, but overall I find her songs to be a big blend of blandness. Maybe I haven't devoted enough time to understand her subtleties. That could be it. Fourth, for a while now I've been annoyed with the constant media coverage of TS, but that's not her fault. Same goes for Harry and Meghan. I used to feel similarly about Jennifer Aniston, but the media has mostly lost interest in her. It isn't the celeb's fault that the media will relentlessly hound whichever "it" person gets readers to click on pics and articles (and thus view the ads), but it's easier (and lazier) to get annoyed with the celeb than the journalists, whose names we don't even know.
I stay out too late
Got nothing in my brain
That's what people say, mm-mm
That's what people say, mm-mm
Fifth, when I saw Jim's Song Lyric Sunday prompt for this week of empowerment, I knew I had to go with Taylor's 2014 song "Shake It Off." Not only is it super fun to listen to and dance to, but also it has a fabulous message. We've heard various versions of it, including "what you think of me is none of my business." There's a recent self-help book titled Let Them, which I haven't read yet, but I understand it promotes a similar message about shrugging off other people's opinions. Not everyone is going to like me, and so what? If I didn't give birth to you or you're not signing my paycheck, then pffft on your negativity and criticism.
'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off (whoo-hoo-hoo)
Hating someone back isn't empowering; hating someone gives them permission to take up space in your mind. We've all heard the expression "he's living rent free in her head.” It's a cliché because it's true. Why would you want to give someone that space? Ignoring them is more powerful. Letting them have the last word and allowing yourself to walk away without reply is true empowerment. Leaving their texts on "read" is empowering. Let them wonder why you won't answer. You don't have to! It took me a while to get there, but I finally arrived. I shake it off! And funny thing... those situations don't even occur these days. Guess I "shook off" the right people.
Heartbreakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off (whoo-hoo-hoo)
Listen to the whole song here. I hope you do if you haven't before ~ it's great! Definitely one of the exceptions, imo. And if you disagree, I don’t care! LOL
Songwriting credits go to Taylor Swift, Shellback, and Martin Max. Lyrics from Musixmatch.

I llike Taylor but haven't heard enough of her music, and I'm not sure I want to. I do give her lots of credit for rising above the crap she had to listen to (her music isn't country enough for country radio *gasp*).I did like Shake it Off and Opalite, but I know Opalite only through my line dance class. LOL. - Nat
ReplyDeleteI haven’t heard that much of it either, but I did listen to most of Lavender Haze on Spotify and it was pretty meh…
DeleteI put Taylor Swift in the same category as I do a lot of celebrities. Good for her. I don't like her nor do I DISLIKE her. Like I just wrote, good for her.
ReplyDeleteYep, sums it up!
DeleteI am a lot like you, Paula as I don’t listen to Taylor Swift and I know she is a very talented artist. The world need mor anti-hate anthems, so I am glad you selected this today. I love all the outfit changes she did in this video and she does have a nice shake. Taylor Swift is a proud cat mom to three feline companions, so she must be a good person. Thanks for dropping by again.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure, Jim! I forgot about Taylor’s kitties 😻
DeleteShake It Off is one of my favorite TS songs. She's a fellow Sagittarian and the "I do feel pain, but don't want to wallow" is classic Sag. So is the being happy while others try to bring you down. Actually, that last is universal. Keep doing your thing! To this sick beat!
ReplyDeleteLove it, Keera!
DeleteFrom what I've heard of Swift's music, I'd rate her as better than most, though not a game-changer like the Beatles or the Kinks in their time. She has obviously struck a nerve with vast numbers of people around the world, to be as successful as she is.
ReplyDelete(I really despise the mentality that thinks it's sophisticated to reflexively hate whatever's popular.)
I do think she deserves kudos for doing good with her money, spreading it around to the ordinary people who work for her.
And, yes, the haters are going to hate, no matter what, so just shake it off. It's a good approach.
For sure!
DeleteI am not a Swiftie but I do love Shake It Off. She's talented she's an astute businessperson, she beat the record companies by taking control of her music (good for her!) and I have to wonder how much she's able to really enjoy her success. But I don't envy her. I certainly don't want to be her except that perhaps I would like to regain some of my lost youth.
ReplyDeleteI don’t think I could handle that level of fame!
DeleteI too don't see her appeal and find it very Basic, Basic Voice, Basic Lyrics and Songs, appeals to teeny boppers mostly and isn't the best Voice in the Biz for sure. But, respect her Business acumen and how well she promoted herself and became such a success in an Industry that is harder for Women {all Industries are, to be Fair}. I never listen to her but she is madly popular with Younger Listeners and whatever is popular and resonates, is always gonna do well in any Generation and Era. Will it hold up over time, well, only Time will tell.
ReplyDeleteHah! Yes, indeed…
DeleteI like some of her songs. That one is one of my favorites. The current popular one on the radio--meh.
ReplyDeleteI don’t even know what’s popular right now!
DeleteI'm not a hater or lover of her music because I know virtually none of her songs. I do admire her business success. Nice to see females make it in the music industry. The song you chose is ok to me and the video is very well done.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lisa!
Delete